By Nancy Mostafa Soliman, Self-Leadership Coach, Certified PDA Parenting Educator and Raising Happy Parenting Facilitator.
Before we start, I want to assure you that I am not here to judge you. I am taking you in a self-reflective article to let you explore opportunities to improve your relationship with your children.
Get Ready! Take a deep breath…
Think about your relationship with your children, imagine them after 25 years from now. They are visiting you after a long time, you all haven’t seen each other.
Close your eyes for a few seconds…Imagine the moment…Feel every emotion …
- How do you imagine them?
- What do they look like?
- How do they feel?
- How do you feel?
- What about your relationship, how can you describe it?
- What’s happened first, when you’ve opened the door?
I believe, words like happy, successful, warm, loving, caring and proud have crossed your mind. I am sure, because no parent ever wishes for their children to grow-up to be sad, failures, distant or miserable. We all want what is best for our children.
Now come back here, Today. Think for a while,
- Is what you have envisioned aligned with your parenting style today?
- What are other things you want to start doing, so they are more aligned?
- Are there any things you need to stop doing?
Take your time…Think of each one of your children, individually. Do not criticize any idea, just write down whatever crosses your mind.
Keep ideas coming...
Now pick one idea, that you believe will improve your relationship with your child. An idea that you can commit to doing today, without feeling overwhelmed.
- Why do you believe this particular idea will improve the relationship?
- What do you need, to start putting it into action?
- What is stopping you from doing it today?
- When will you be able to start doing it?
- How will you feel after doing it?
Take your time…Brainstorm and plan for it...Think baby steps that will move you forward, not a leap that might overwhelm and hinder you.
Reach out to a trustworthy friend or seek support from professionals if you feel stuck.
We are also here for you. Let us know, how can we support you?
Celebrate your effort in enhancing your relationship with your children! We will be delighted if you decide to share with us, how you will celebrate it.